by Jonathan Gillham
2023 is poised to be an exciting year for AI technology. As language models continue to advance, more AI-based products emerge. One of these products recently creating a buzz is ChatGPT.
Unlike the language models preceding it, ChatGPT is specifically trained to mimic human conversations. This has led people to question whether the content they read nowadays is written by a machine or an actual human. Enter AI detection tools.
While AI detection tools are powered by AI technology, they’re designed to identify machine-generated content. As they say, it takes one to know one. Today, we’ll be exploring one such tool from Sapling.ai.
The Sapling Company creates AI assistants for business communication to help teams communicate more effectively with their clients. So, they’re well-qualified to construct their own AI detection tool too.
Sapling.ai’s AI Detector is a browser-based tool trained to catch GPT-3 and ChatGPT texts. It was developed by former researchers at Google, Stanford University, and Berkeley University of California.
The tool shows a percentage of how likely a machine-generated text. It also suggests which specific phrases were written by a machine. Let’s take a more in-depth look at its features.
- GPT-3 and ChatGPT Detection: GPT-3 and ChatGPT are the latest language models used for AI writers. Sapling.ai has created a tool that can work on content produced by these models.
- Overall and per-sentence Detector: Sapling.ai uses two methods to check for AI. First, it checks the entirety of the text to judge the probability of AI-generated instances. But there is also the pre-sentence detector, which uses a different technique, according to the company.
- Highlighted Text: Sapling.ai’s AI content detector suggests which particular sentences are likely AI-generated. Red highlights indicate the phrase is 100% made by a machine, while peach-colored highlights mean parts of a sentence are by AI.
- Trained on the latest AI models
- Easy to use
- Can zero in on AI-phrases
- Too many false positives
- Text length limit should be expanded
- Crashes sometimes
Testing Sapling.ai Detector’s Accuracy
Now that we’ve looked at Sapling.ai’s features, let’s check the tool’s accuracy. To do this, we tested seven text samples generated entirely by Jasper.ai, a popular AI writer, and compared Sapling.ai’s results with Originality.ai’s.
The latter is also a powerful AI detection tool that can catch content generated by GPT-3, GPT-3.5, and GPT-2. We’ve tested it against many other apps, and it has always displayed better results. Let’s see the verdict this time around.
As you can see, Sapling.ai can be quite impressive when it works. But when it fails, the results are very damaging. It was not able to detect any instances of AI in three of the samples, whereas Originality.ai caught at least 2% in one.
This means if Sapling.ai were to be used as part of an assessment for “AI plagiarism,” it may produce false positives, making it unreliable. However, with further tweaking, the tool may shine.
The only sample wherein Sapling.ai beat out Originality.ai is the third sample. If we review how the other AI content detection tools fared in our previous analyses, Originality.ai always showed superior percentages for the first three texts. This is one of the rare few times its competitor showed better results for at least one.
For now, it’s safe to conclude that Originality.ai is the winner of this experiment. Even though it is not 100% accurate in its detection, the tool has fewer instances of showing false positives.
Comparing Sapling.ai Detector to Other Platforms
We’ve answered the question of Sapling.ai’s accuracy. Now let’s see how the tool fares in other aspects, like features and usability.
- Accessibility: Sapling.ai Detector is readily accessible via any web browser. While it offers a free taste of the tool with a few tokens, it will prompt the user to sign up for a free account to use it further.
- Detection Speed: The tool automatically analyzes content placed in the text box, even while you’re editing. It doesn’t take more than a few seconds for the tool to share results. Then again, the text length it allows is also limited.
- Text Limit: AI detection tools typically limit the number of words you can check for analysis. Sapling.ai’s text limit is relatively generous compared to those that only allow up to 200 words.
- Pricing: Sapling.ai’s tool is completely free to use as long as you’re patient enough to make an account. You can subscribe to the Pro plan at $25 to access the company’s other tools, like grammar checker and AI writing assistant.
- Related Features: Sapling.ai offers tons of other tools you can enjoy with the detector if you pay for a subscription plan. With the paid plans, you get AI writing assistants like Autocomplete, an AI detection tool, and a grammar check all in one.
The biggest advantage Sapling.ai has over other AI detection tools is that it is completely free to use. Its text limit may be low compared to other tools, but it’s a great way to get started and explore the tool’s features.
The AI detection tool is also quite fast in its analysis and can detect texts generated by GPT-3 and ChatGPT very quickly. And if you decide to upgrade your subscription, you will have access to lots of related features like an AI writing assistant, grammar checker, etc. which makes the experience even better.
Sapling.ai’s AI Detector is a good beginner tool for anyone who wants to detect machine-generated content. It is fast, mostly accurate, and provides a great way to explore the tool’s features without paying for anything.
Of course, it’s always best to pair the tool with other assessment methods. Since Sapling.ai can bring false positives, you shouldn’t rely on it as the sole source for detecting machine-generated content. But overall, it’s a great tool if you want to get started with AI detection or just want to explore your options.
The ChatGPT hype is real, and people are wondering how to avoid detection by AI software. Schools and universities have even attempted to ban students from using the tool for their essays. But there are ways to prevent plagiarism or detection of AI-generated content. SEO agencies use detection platforms such as Originality.ai to ensure that […]
GPTKit is an AI-based content detection tool developed by Dreamsoft Innovations. The tool is designed to analyze text and determine whether it contains AI-generated content, which has become increasingly prevalent in today’s digital age. It utilizes six different AI-based content detection techniques to provide accurate results and offers reports on the authenticity and reality of […]
Grover’s AI-Detection tool is an advanced platform designed to identify and prevent the spread of “fake neural news” – a type of disinformation created using artificial intelligence. It utilizes a combination of both generation and detection tactics to analyze the language and structure of articles to detect bias, false information, or other warning signs. Grover […]